Read, Write, INC
At St Anne's we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their phonics and reading. RWI is a method of learning centred round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their early reading and writing.
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns, the more he or she will want to find out.
Using RWI, the children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
Click on the image to go to the Ruth Miskin Read Write Inc website.
To know more about Set 1, Set 2 and Set 3 sounds and words click on the links:
Oxford Owl website has a section for Reading RWI books. Staff will sign post you on Class Dojo and you will be able to access reading the correct level of book for your child.
Through Lockdown thre are daily virtual lessons for children. Staff will signpost you on class Dojo of the lessons to take part in daily.
Click on the link for Read Write Inc Youtube Channel
Click on the link below for the Read Write Inc Facebook Group
A great opportunity for children to learn these by heart!